M-Cards are issues from magazines and publications. Because many of these were often inserts in publications, some are photos/supplements and other types of inserts – not standard trading cards.
There are several publications issues in boxing, however, that were standard trading cards. Many were printed in the early 1920s and feature some of the first cards of a few key boxers, including the legendary Jack Dempsey. While a few were cataloged by Jefferson Burdick in the American Card Catalog, most were not.
In terms of the supplements, note that those inserts that are not cataloged in the American Card Catalog (with M- designations) have not been given individual pages below. However, a list of those sets can be found here, on a separate page.
- 1922-23 Boys Cinema Famous Film Stars
- 1911 Boys’ Friend Famous Boxers
- 1922 Boys’ Friend Rising Boxing Stars
- 1922 Boys’ Magazine Boxers
- 1922 Comic Life Sports Champions
- 1935 Detroit Free Press (M120)
- 1922 Lot-O’-Fun Sports Champions
- 1880s New York Illustrated Champions Cabinets (M125)
- 1901-17 Police Gazette Supplements (M128)
- 1923 The Rocket Famous Knockouts
- 1923 Union Jack Monarchs of the Ring