1922 Comic Life / Lot-O’-Fun Sporting Champions Set and Checklist
‘It’s In The Details’
|Title||Comic Life Sporting Champions
|Size||1 1/2″ x 2 5/8″
|Images||Black and White|
|Number in Set
||8 / 16|
1922 Comic Life / Lot-O’-Fun Sporting Champions Overview
These cards were distributed by Comic Life and Lot-O’-Fun publications.
Featuring black and white images, the cards were printed in panels of two with each panel being distributed in a given week in 1922. They were produced at the same time in each of the two publications. One week, Comic Life would distribute panels while Lot-O’-Fun would distribute their own.
Today, the cards can be found individually hand cut or in uncut panels. Individual hand cut cards are not given automatic ‘Authentic’ grades by third party graders and can/do receive numerical grades by at least PSA.
Most of the athletes will not be familiar to American collectors but two feature boxing legends Jack Dempsey and Georges Carpentier in the Comic Life set. Boxer Joe Beckett is found in the Lot-O’-Fun series.
The distribution for the cards was as follows:
Comic Life Series
- September 30 – E. Barry and Georges Carpentier
- October 7 – Thomas Burgess and Andrew Wilson
- October 14 – Jack Dempsey and Donald McKinlay
- October 21 – J.T. Howcroft and Harry Jones
- September 30 – Arthur Crimsdell and A.G. Hill
- October 7 – Joe Beckett and Andrew Ducat
- October 14 – Howard Baker and Tom Wilson
- October 21 – A. Layton and W. Meredith
While two separate cards were printed on each panel, each set is sometimes cited as having only four cards as opposed to eight. The individual card numbers on each one clearly mean to suggest, however, that eight cards is the correct number for each complete issue.
1922 Comic Life / Lot-O’-Fun Sporting Champions Checklist
Comic Life Set
- Georges Carpentier (Boxing)
- E. Barry (Sculling)
- Andrew Wilson (Soccer)
- Thomas Burgess (Swimming)
- Jack Dempsey (Boxing)
- Donald McKinlay (Soccer)
- J.T. Howcroft (Referee)
- Harry Jones (Soccer)
- Arthur Crimsdell (Soccer)
- A.G. Hill (Running)
- Andrew Ducat (Soccer/Cricket)
- Joe Beckett (Boxing)
- Howard Baker (High Jumping)
- Tom Wilson (Soccer)
- A. Layton (Soccer)
- W. Meredith (Soccer)
Follow Pre-War Cards on Twitter and also be sure to like our page on Facebook.