1937 Wills Our King and Queen Set and Checklist
‘It’s In The Details’
|Title||Wills Our King and Queen
|Size||1 3/8″ x 2 5/8″
|Images||Black and White
|Number in Set
1937 Wills Our King and Queen Overview
This set featured the Royal Family and was issued by the Imperial Tobacco Company for their Wills Cigarettes products. Distributed in 1937, the set included 50 cards showing the family in various settings. The black and white set features, specifically, King George and Queen Elizabeth, known as the Queen Mother.
Most of the cards are decidedly non-sports issues, featuring the family making charitable visits or at other events. However, some are considered sports issues. Specifically, four cards in the middle of the set are considered golf, tennis, soccer, and polo cards with King George playing or serving as a spectator.
Card No. 16 features the King playing a round of golf and Card No. 17 shows him at the World Cup Final. Card No. 18 features the King at Wimbledon and No. 19 pictures him playing a game of polo.
One notable aspect of this set is that the pictures are from many different years. So some of the cards depict the Royal Family before they became king and queen. Several of the King’s cards, for example, depict him as the Duke of York.
Like most Wills issues of the time period, these have a white border with the Wills name featured prominently at the top. The set is one of the heavily produced UK releases of the 1930s. But while the non-sports cards have minimal value, the sports cards featuring King George sell for a bit more.
Here’s a closer look at the sports cards in the set.
1937 Wills Our King and Queen Checklist
- King George
- The Royal Family
- Queen Elizabeth
- Royal Princesses
- Glamis Castle
- As Naval Cadet
- The King as Airman
- Historic Entry into Brussels
- Three Royal Brothers
- At YMCA Sports Carnival
- Wedding of the King and Queen
- With Disabled Ex-Service Men
- At Lady Maud Carnegie’s Wedding
- On Buckingham Palace Balcony
- With Queen Mary at Balmoral
- A Game of Golf
- At the Cup Final
- At Wimbledon
- Playing Polo for Lords v. Commons
- On a Model Railway
- With the Cottesmore Hunt
- En Route for Australia and New Zealand
- At Welsh National Eisteddfod
- Crossing the Line
- Opening of the Federal Parliament
- Greeting Maori Guides
- Fijians Pay Homage
- Inspecting Guard of Honour
- Deep Sea Fishing
- At Epsom
- At Winford Orthopaedic Hospital
- At a Bristol Tobacco Factory
- In Edinburgh
- Inspecting Scouts at Maidstone
- At Babies’ Hospital, Brockley
- Visit to Sheffield
- At Trooping the Colour Ceremony
- At a ‘Toc H’ Festival
- At the Brussels Exhibition
- The Silver Jubilee
- Arriving at Olympia
- At Royal Tournament, Olympia
- Visit to Boys’ Camp at Jesson, New Romney
- At Southwold Boys’ Camp, Suffolk
- Inspecting the R.N.V.R.
- At Perth, Scotland
- Driving from Crathie Church
- Proclamation of the Coronation
- Visit to a Durham Pit
- The Princesses and their Miniature House
Follow Pre-War Cards on Twitter and also be sure to like our page on Facebook.