1930s PR3-10 Big League Leaders Pins Set and Checklist
It’s In The Details’
|Title||PR3-10 Big League Leaders Pins
|Number in Set
1930s PR3-10 Big League Leaders Pins Overview
The PR3-10 Big League Leaders pin set is a rare issue not known to many collectors.
First, there is the classification issue. It should not be confused as being part of what is known today as the PR3 Orbit Gum pin set. That set was actually initially classified as PR3-3 by Jefferson Burdick in the American Card Catalog but has since been known as PR3 to most collectors. Essentially, the PR3-10 set is a subset of PR3 just as the PR3-3 set was. Make sense?
Here’s an easier way of saying it. Burdick classified several baseball pin sets as all being PR3 issues … PR3-1, PR3-2, etc. While PR3-10 still uses the same classification that Burdick originally assigned to it, the PR3-3 set has been come to be known as PR3 today.
But back to the set at hand. The PR3-10 set is a collection of pins that featured statistical leaders in a variety of categories such as most home runs, etc. It is a different set in the sense that it does not feature pictures of players – only their names along with a key stat.
As far as dating goes, the set is believed to have been produced at some point in the 1930s. PSA lists it as a 1933 set. That is a common assumption since 1932 statistics are the last ones featured. Obviously, that means that 1932 is the earliest it could have been printed.
1930s PR3-10 Big League Leaders Pins Checklist
- Dale Alexander – 1932 Batting
- Grover Alexander – Most Shut Outs per Season
- Max Carey – Stolen Bases
- Lew Fonseca – 1932 Batting
- Lefty Grove – 1932 Pitching
- Chick Hafey – 1931 Batting
- Rogers Hornsby – Highest Percentage
- Lefty O’Doul – 1929 Batting
- Lefty O’Doul – 1932 Batting
- Babe Ruth – Most Home Runs per Season
- Al Simmons – 1930 Batting
- Al Simmons – 1931 Batting
- Bill Terry – 1930 Batting
- Lon Warneke – 1932 Batting
- Longest Game Played
- Most Games Won in a Season