Editor’s Notes (July 2020)
Each month, content gets updated on the Pre-War Cards site. However, while you see the regular articles that are posted, plenty of stuff is always being added behind the scenes. Much of this has to do with the updating of set descriptions and checklists in the database and each month, I’ll be posting to alert you to stuff that has been added or updated from the previous month.
Here are the items added/updated from the past month.
Man, kind of a crazy month for the site. Not in terms of actual articles since I didn’t write a whole lot, to be honest. But in terms of new set additions.
From an article standpoint, one thing I enjoyed was the two-part series I did on the 1913 Pan Handle Scrap Tobacco card sets (one from the world’s champions set is shown here. Links to those articles are below in the new set additions area.
Besides the articles, though, what I did do was finish the bulk of the new set additions that I wanted to. As I mentioned recently, the site is now covering sets in the various sports databases with previews/checklists through 1947. I added a bunch of these sets in May and then added a bunch more in June. June, in particular, was quite busy. This was the most sets I’ve added in some time and the list below is much larger than you’re accustomed to seeing in these monthly recaps.
I’ve got another 5-6 sets to add of the more mainstream ones I know about and then will be looking for other, lesser known ones to add. The good news is that, the bulk of the main sets from the 1940s through 1947 are now up on the site so the expansion is mostly complete. The set now includes set reviews in baseball, basketball, boxing, football, golf, hockey, tennis, and wrestling through 1947. As usual, if you know of a set with any of those cards that should be added, do not hesitate to let me know.
One important note is that the site added another advertiser, Gold Card Auctions. They focus on sports card investments so please give their site a look.
From a news standpoint, it was pretty sleepy around here. I did write about SGC’s new population report site but that was really it.
And here’s the Obscure Card of the Month for July, if you haven’t had a chance to read about it yet.
New Sets Added
- 1947 Bond Bread (D305)
- 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson (D302)
- 1940 Buffalo Bisons Team Set
- 1940s Editorial Bruguera World Famous Sportsmen
- 1930s Golf Shots by Bobby Jones Flicker Books
- 1941 Huskies Cereal Trade Card
- 1947 Joe DiMaggio Sport Magazine Premium
- 1945 Leister Autographs Game Cards
- 1944 New York Yankees Stamps
- 1947-49 Pacific Coast Baseball News Babe Ruth
- 1913 Pan Handle Scrap Tobacco Champion Women Swimmers (T221)
- 1913 Pan Handle Scrap Tobacco World’s Champion Athletes (T230)
- 1946-47 Propogandas Montiel los Reyes del Deporte
- 1945-50 Remar Bread Sets (D317)
- 1947 Signal Gasoline (UO11)
- 1947-48 Smiths Oakland Oaks (H801-3)
- 1946-49 Sports Exchange All-Stars (W603)
- 1947 Sports Exchange Miniatures (W602)
- 1941 St. Louis Browns Team Set (W753)
- 1941 St. Louis Cardinals Team Set (W754)
- 1946 Sunbeam Bread Sacrament Solons (D315)
- 1947 Sunbeam Bread Sacrament Solons (D315)
- 1947 Ted Williams Back Menko Cards (JCM44)
- 1947 Tip Top Bread (D323)
- 1944 Venezuela Serie Mundial de Base Ball Amateur Stamps