‘It’s In The Details’
|Number in Set
W461 Exhibit Postcards Overview
Seven different pre-war sets make up the W461 Exhibits postcard issue. In addition to the pre-war era W461s, additional sets from the late 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s were also printed as well.
The designs between the sets are distinctively different, but are also somewhat similar Sets 1-5 all include black and white images with the player’s name somewhere on the postcards. Set 6 and Set 7 are similar in look but have green and blue tints, respectively.
Here are the distinguishing characteristics for each set:
- 1921 – Player name in script font / team name in slanted font
- 1922 – Player name in script font / team name in straight font
- 1923/24 – Player name in script font / team name in straight font
- 1925 – Name, Team, ‘Made in U.S.A.’ in small box
- 1926 – Name, Team, ‘Ex. Sup. Co., U.S.A.’ (for Exhibit Supply Company)
- 1927 – Similar to 1926 but information split and pictures have green tint
- 1928 – Similar to 1927 but with blue tint
Some of the later post-war W461s include statistics on the back.
In all, counting both the pre-war and post-war issues, there are a little more than 1,000 total postcards in the set.
W461 Exhibit Postcards Checklists
Due to the large number of postcards printed and the fact that they span over many different years, I have not attempted to provide a checklist for these issues.