1925-31 Postcard-Backed Four on One Exhibits Set and Checklist
‘It’s In The Details’
|Title||Postcard-backed 4-on-1 Exhibits
|Size||3 3/8″ x 5 3/8″
|Images||Black and White / Color Tints
|Number in Set
1925-31 Postcard-Backed Four on One Exhibits Overview
From 1925 through 1931, a series of unclassified Exhibit postcards were printed. These are similar to other Exhibit issues and can be black and white or have a variety of colored tint fronts. Backs have a standard postcard printing, although some have been found with blank reverses.
While other postcard-backed Exhibits were printed over this same time period, these are different in that they feature four players on one postcard. In addition, while most in the set are baseball players, there a few boxers as well as well as actor Charlie Chaplin and actress Marie Prevost.
Numerous Hall of Fame baseball players are found in the set. The biggest names among them are Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, and Walter Johnson. Boxing legends Jack Dempsey and Gene Tunney add to the desirability of this set.
Of note is that the sports in this multi-sport set are mixed on some of the postcards. For example, baseball players Ruth and Roger Hornsby share a postcard with boxing greats Georges Carpentier and Mickey Walker.
1925-31 Postcard-Backed Exhibits Checklist
Since four personalities are listed on one card, I have ordered the checklist alphabetically by the name of the person in the upper left corner of the postcard.
- Lou Gehrig / Lefty Grove / Pete Donahue / Mickey Cochrane
- Joe Judge / Paul Waner / Willie Kamm / Travis Jackson
- Lefty O’Doul / Dazzy Vance / Art Shires / Hughie Critz
- Bing Miller / Eddie Collins / George Kelly / Chuck Klein
- Heinie Groh / Stanley Harris / Jack Dempsey / Rocky Kansas
- Walter Johnson / Al Simmons / Gene Tunney / Benny Leonard
- Eugene Criqui / Dave Shade / Joe Judge / Ty Cobb
- Babe Ruth / Rogers Hornsby / Mickey Walker / Georges Carpentier
- Joe Judge / Ty Cobb / Charlie Chaplin / Marie Prevost